(Page 4 of 8)
Find the right approach
Your doctor's surgery
Commercial Slimming Organisations
Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCDs)
Be Weightwise and webwise
These can be an effective alternative to weight control for some people. They are designed to replace one or more meals a day, providing nutrients within a known calorie limit. UK examples include: the Slim Fast Plan, Boots Shapers and Herbalife,
- This approach usually provides around 1200-1600 calories per day.
- Range includes shakes, bars and soups.
- Users are advised to replace 1-2 meals (often breakfast and lunch) with a meal replacement and include a healthy meal in the evening (or at lunchtime).
- Additional fresh fruit and a modest number of healthy snacks are allowed, as well as drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water or low-calorie drinks.
- Meal replacement products are usually fortified with extra vitamins and minerals to help ensure they provide the recommended amount of nutrients for good health.
- Many of these plans provide additional online or written support.
Would suit those who:
- Like a simple approach to weight loss without having to think about planning and preparing individual meals.
- Like to have the reassurance of calorie and portion control.
- Are able to be self motivated.
- Some people may find they get bored of the meal replacement products o n offer
- Take care when moving back to a normal diet. Continuing to choose foods wisely will help you to avoid regaining weight
page 4 of 8